1. A part or portion belonging to, distributed to, contributed by, or owed by a person or group: The pirates argued over their shares of the treasure.
2. An equitable portion: do ones share of the work.
a. One of the equal parts into which the capital stock of a company is divided: bought 200 shares of the companys stock.
b. A unit of ownership in a mutual fund or other investment vehicle: bought two shares in a mutual fund.
c. shares Chiefly British Stocks: European shares jumped two percent. The fund invests half the money in bonds and half in shares.
v. shared, shar·ing, shares
a. To accord a share in (something) to another or others: shared her chocolate bar with a friend.
b. To divide and parcel out in shares; apportion: shared the estate among his heirs.
a. To participate in, use, enjoy, or experience jointly or in turns: share a responsibility; share a room.
b. To hold or have jointly with another or others: She shares my view about the election.
3. To relate (a secret or experience, for example) to another or others.
4. Computers To make (a digital file) accessible to other users on a network, as for copying and downloading.
1. To have a share or part: shared in the profits.
2. To allow someone to use or enjoy something that one possesses: Being in daycare taught the child to share.
3. To use or enjoy something jointly or in turns: There is only one computer, so we will have to share.
4. To talk about personal experiences or feelings with others.
To be concerned or partake equally or jointly, as in a business venture.
share′a·ble, shar′a·ble adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Pieces of paper which testify the ownership of part of a corporation. If 10,000 shares are issued and someone owns 1,000 shares, they own 1% of the company and they are entitled to 1% of company profits and 1% of the votes in the election of corporate officers or on corporate policy.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Find us at the office
Procter- Lebret street no. 84, 49328 Stanley, Falkland Islands
Give us a ring
+26 237 340 160
Mon - Fri, 7:00-22:00